Saturday, February 27, 2010

Normal? What's N-or-mal?

Like I said before, what's normal?
Merriam-Webster gives the definition of normal as follows:

"According with, constituting, or not deviating from a norm, rule, or principle b : conforming to a type, standard, or regular pattern"

OK, that soooo doesn't describe me...

You may be wondering, "What brought that on?"
Well, I recently walked by a girl on the phone saying " I wish my family was more normal, they are soooo embarrassing!"

That got me thinking, what's normal?

Whatever it is, my family isn't it.

And then I started wondering, why are people so obsessed with being normal?
Is it so bad to be different?

I know that I'm different, weird, strange, how ever you want to put it, and you know what? I'm PROUD of that.

I think girls in general are pressured to act like their friends, or their favorite celebrities, then told that if they don't they are "weird", "different", "odd".. Words that we are taught to mean "bad". Do you know what the definition of weird is? Check it out:
"to be of strange or extraordinary character". Well then, I guess I AM weird!

So the next time someone says "You are so weird", take it as a compliment!

And remember, being normal isn't always the best......

4 comments:

  1. Justina, YOU ARE RIGHT!!! Everyone at my school calls me weird and I say "thank you and I know you are" But you just inspired me to be beyond that. Thank yoo!! P.S this is your cousin. Also you are REALLY smart could you give me toutoring when I come down there? Bye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOSH THAT IS SO TRUE!!!!! Everyone at my school is weird and the ones who "TRY" to be what people call "normal" are the freaks!!!! People need to be themselves and since we are all unique is there really a "normal"??? I don't know about any one else, but being weird or different is a WHOLE lot easier than being someone your not!!!! stop and think about life for a second.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true! Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Speak your mind!